Thursday, January 21, 2010

Migration to Myopia

In the 1 January 2010 edition of "Science" magazine, I read that scientists at the National Eye Institute in Bethesda, Maryland, have concluded that Americans are getting ever more nearsighted. Apparently, in the early 1970s, only about 25% of the U.S. population could be classified as myopic. In the early 2000s, however, that number climbed to nearly 42%. Donald Mutti, a vision scientist from the Ohio State University in Columbus, believes that a lack of outdoor exposure, is most likely the problem. Research has not yet figured out, though, what about being outdoors (e.g., increased light levels, more use of the eyes in viewing distant objects, etc.) seems to protect our close vision. Experts (and non-experts) have always suspected that a lot of "near work" can lead to myopic tendencies, but recent studies have failed to support any such association. Therefore, I guess we can continue to work on our computers, text on our cell phones, and do any other type of "near work" but it would be best for our eyes to do so in an outdoor venue. For me, it's way too late. I have been nearsighted for most of my life, and I continue to get worse over time. I guess that's appropriate for a Blind Bambi.

No comments:

Post a Comment