Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Smarter Search Engines?

Scientists at Cornell University have been given stimulus funding to create search engine software that can learn from users by noticing which links, from the list of returned results, that they click on and how they modify their query when they are not satisfied with the outcome of the original search. This is kind of cool, but, if they are successful, what is the next step in smarter search engines? I'm thinking maybe a brain wave detector to figure out what I want to search for and then both automatically format and submit the query on my behalf. For a Blind Bambi like me, though, this complexity probably isn't necessary. A simple random query generation tool may be all that's needed to capture my crazy search interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment